Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Microsoft Word, Excel, & Publisher Exploration


While working on the KWLH charts for Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher I decided to make this weeks blog post about how I explored using these programs. I am quite familiar with Microsoft Word, but am not with the other two. I took a computer class in high school and used Excel a couple of times. I have never used Publisher before.
Normally when I get a new device, whether it be a cell phone, computer, Kindle, etc. I always jump right in and start playing around with it. I like to figure out how to use it and the functions on the device on my own. I do not normally read the instructions that come with it. That is exactly what I did with Microsoft Word and Excel while completing the KWLH charts.
On the other hand, for Publisher, I opened the program up, and used Google to look for tutorials. I didn't even have a clue as to what Microsoft Publisher was used for. Since I know so little about the program, I thought it would be best to start with the basics of Publisher. I used the tutorials to learn how to open, create, save, and work on new projects. I also learned how to add text and images to the document. I thought using the tutorials made it a lot easier, than if I just would have tried to figure it out for myself. The site I used gave you pictures to see, as well as written instructions on how to do whatever it was the tutorial was showing you how to do. As I was almost finished exploring Publisher with using the tutorials, I thought I would use it for Excel as well. I again, started off with the basics and learned some things that I didn't already know how  to do in Excel.
I'm glad I took the time to look up tutorials for these programs, instead of trying to use them on my own. The tutorials make it easier to see how to do something while actually using the program yourself. Tutorials are also great because you can refresh your memory on how to use them, as well as learn new things. I recommend using them for any software program in the class. One site I found that was very helpful is http://www.baycongroup.com/tutorials.htm You simply click on the Microsoft software you want to learn about, and then click on one of the subtopics listed under that program. This site does not have Publisher. I used the site http://www.gcflearnfree.org/publisher2010 for that software. You simply click on the numbered topic you want to learn how to do and it will show you step by step how to do it. I would definitely recommend using tutorials to help yourself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment