Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Photostory Reflection

After getting the email from Dr. Hossain, it too me a little while to figure out what I wanted to do for this project. After some thinking, I decided to talk about the job that I had over the summer. I was a Summer Camp Counselor at my YMCA. I worked all summer with children from ages 6-12, and I feel like it really benefitted my major.
There were so many fun things that I loved about that job. There were so many things that I learned and got to experience because of it. Finally, I had decided to do a "day at the YMCA," for my Photostory assignment. I started out by writing my narrative. I basically wrote the chronological order of the things we did everyday. I also added in a few things that were favorites of the children. Next, I went online to gather the photos I wanted to use. I felt pretty prepared, and I read the steps from Dr. Hossain's site.
I found Photostory 3 to be very simple to use. I've used Windows Movie maker before, and it's quite similar. First I imported all of the pictures I wanted to use. Mine were in a random order, so I then arranged them to go a long with my narrative. Next, I went through all of the pictures and added captions to appear on the screen, and the narrative beside it in the notes section. Then, I formatted the different transitions for each picture. I added music, and saved my product. I had to go to the library to get a microphone so I could record myself.
I looked online to see where I had to go to pick up the microphone. I went to the Media Services Desk to rent one out. I decided to try out the lab on the bottom floor of the Library to see if I could get it to record. I logged onto a computer, and couldn't find the program. Then I logged off, and logged back into the computer under the Raub Lab. I found the program and connected the microphone through the USB drive. The computer wouldn't recognize the device. So next, I went to the Raub lab itself. I logged on to two different computers, and the same thing happened as in the Library. Finally, I logged into the "professor" computer in the lab (the one with the Smart Screen attached to it.) This is what worked for me. All I had left to do was click the record button on each picture.
I got a little frustrated trying to get the microphone to work, but other than that I had no problems. I feel like this would be a good resource to use and post on your company website. I like how easy it was, and it had a lot of different transitions and options for any user. I also liked how you could create your own music to fit your story. This was also very easy to do. I will definitely try to incorporate this program into my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment